Monday, February 1, 2010

Gotta Start Somewhere....

Hey everyone--
If you're reading this, you probably already know me and what I'm about. This blog is one way for me to keep folks updated as I train for the Rock 'n' Roll Seattle Marathon on June 26. But first, a little backstory:

Back at the end of 2002, I came back from my stint in Kenya as a Peace Corps Volunteer in fantastic shape physically (a little over 140 lbs., vegetarian, generally in great health), but a lot of friends had moved away and had their own things going. So I decided to sign up to run a marathon in the hopes of meeting people and staying in shape. Both worked pretty well--I finished the marathon in good time (3:41:42), and I met the woman I would later marry.

So here it is, 2010. I'm older, heavier (about 20 lbs., to be exact), a fairly serious carnivore (still no red meat, but it's hard to avoid meat in Memphis), and back at it again. This time, it's mostly just for me--everything else is great in my life, I want to get control back over the physical end of things. But I had such a great experience with Team in Training the first time around that I joined up again--and while I'm training for my marathon, I'll be raising money ($4300, to be exact) to fund the great work done by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. So here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment